Users of macOS Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite should install the MsgFiler Engine Mail Plugin for optimum performance with MsgFiler 3.
- System Requirements
- Version History
- Known Issues and Status
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ask a Question
Read the MsgFiler 3 documentation to learn how to use, configure and get the most out of MsgFiler 3.
MsgFiler 3.1.4 requires Mac OS X 10.8 or later.
MsgFiler is available exclusively on the Mac App Store.
MsgFiler Engine Mail Plugin
The MsgFiler Engine Mail Plugin is an optional install for MsgFiler 3 that greatly increases filing performance in MsgFiler 3. It’s highly recommended to use MsgFiler 3 with MsgFiler Engine.
Original MsgFiler Mail Plugin
The previous version of MsgFiler was an Apple Mail Plugin. If you are a current user of the MsgFiler Mail Plugin, learn about the differences between the plugin and the MsgFiler application here.
View a comparison chart detailing the feature set of MsgFiler 3, MsgFiler 2 and MsgFiler Engine.
Known Issues and Status
Below is a list of known issues with MsgFiler and the current status on resolving them. If you are runninga previous version of MsgFiler, make sure you upgrade to the latest version, as it brings numerous performance improvements and bug fixes.
- On macOS Sierra, the MsgFiler windows appears after a restart, even though I have the Hide app checked in my Login Items.
- This is a known issue. Hope to have it resolved in the next update of the MsgFiler application on the Mac App Store.
I upgraded to Mavericks and filed messages keep reappearing in the original mailbox (Gmail account)!
- Did you hide the All Mail folder in Gmail’s web settings? If so, you will need to reveal this mailbox in IMAP for MsgFiler to work properly. See this article on TidBits for more details.
- I upgraded to MsgFiler 3.1.3 and MsgFiler stays open after filing!
- Apple made us change the default preference so that MsgFiler stays open after filing a message. To change this back, uncheck Keep MsgFiler Open After Filing in MsgFiler Preferences > Filing.
- I upgraded to MsgFiler 3.1 and Engine 1.1 and filing is still slow!
- If you are running Mountain Lion, upgrade to MsgFiler 3.1.3 and use the latest version of the MsgFiler Engine. If you are on Lion or Snow Leopard, use MsgFiler 3.0.5 instead, in addition to MsgFiler Engine 188.8.131.52, for the best possible performance.
- Creating mailboxes using MsgFiler in Exchange results in error messages.
- This is a known issue. If you use MsgFiler with an Exchange account, it is recommend that you create new mailboxes using Mail’s built-in New Mailbox command instead of MsgFiler.
- The checkbox to activate the Engine is grayed out.
- Enable access for assistive devices in the Accessibility pane of System Preferences. This bug will be fixed in the next version of MsgFiler.
- Where did the Start At Login option go?
- It’s been temporarily removed due to App Sandbox restrictions. This feature will come back in a future release of MsgFiler 3.
- The select next/previous message options no longer works in MsgFiler 3.
- App sandbox restrictions have caused this feature to break. Install the MsgFiler Engine to resolve this problem (and get better performance).
- I am running MsgFiler on Mountain Lion/Lion, and filing multiple messages is much slower than it used to be.
- There is a bug in Lion Mail which causes MsgFiler to file each message individually instead of as a group. Until Lion Mail resolves this problem, you can install the MsgFiler Engine 1.1 to speed up filing. This bug has been filed with Apple for future resolution.
- When using Mail in full-screen mode on Lion, invoking MsgFiler switches spaces.
- In MsgFiler Preferences check Hide Dock Icon. This will allow MsgFiler to work in Mail in full-screen mode, albeit at the loss of MsgFiler’s icon in the Dock (and Application Switcher).
- I’m installed MsgFiler Engine, but filing is still slow.
- In MsgFiler Preferences / Filing, make sure Use MsgFiler Engine to file messages is checked. Also set the Label filed messages drop-down menu to None.
- After loading mailboxes, nothing appears in the mailbox list.
- Press the space bar to see the list of mailboxes. This will be fixed in a future release of MsgFiler.
- I have 4000+ mailboxes, and loading mailboxes still takes 30 seconds.
- Installing and setting MsgFiler 3 to use the MsgFiler Engine will speed up mailbox loading.
- Mailbox loading continues forever.
- Do you have any mailboxes that contain the ~ or & character? Try renaming these mailboxes to not include these characters.
- I can’t create a mailbox underneath a mailbox whose name contains accents or other non-ASCII characters.
- Known issue. There appears to be a bug in Mail’s AppleScript dictionary that prevents the creation of mailboxes underneath mailboxes that contain non-ASCII characters. This bug has been reported to Apple.
- Mailbox whose names contain quotes do not appear properly in mailbox list.
- Known issue. Currently, there is no workaround other than removing quotes from the mailbox name.
- I haven’t purchased MsgFiler or I am trying to update MsgFiler, but the Mac App Store says it’s installed.
- Try rebuilding your LaunchServices database by running the following command in the Terminal application (located in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Copy and paste the text below and press Enter/Return. Wait until the command is finished before trying to purchase MsgFiler from the App Store:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
- Version 3.0 – Released 2011-02-27
- Initial release.
- Version 3.0.1 – Released 2011-03-10
- Compatibility with Spell Catcher. Faster loading and creating of new mailboxes. Improved MsgFiler Engine support. Lower memory usage. Shortcut now works only in Apple Mail. Bug fixes.
- Version 3.0.2 – Released 2011-04-25
- Bug fixes. Better memory usage. Selection in mailbox list does not shift after filing. Fixed bug where mailbox names might be improperly truncated. Faster loading of mailboxes when using MsgFiler Engine. Fixed bug causing MsgFiler to switch to discrete graphics on certain MacBook Pro laptops. When no mailboxes are matched, the count says 0 instead of the previous mailbox count. Mailbox list updates after adding or removing excluded mailboxes. Notifies the user when trying to create a mailbox underneath a mailbox that contains non-ASCII characters. There is a bug in Mail’s AppleScript support that prevents the creation of new mailboxes underneath these kinds of mailboxes.
- Version 3.0.3 – Released 2011-06
- Compatibility with Mac OS X Lion. Note there is a bug in Lion Mail which causes MsgFiler to file each message individually instead of as a group. Until Lion Mail resolves this problem, you can install the optional MsgFiler Engine 1.0.4 to speed up filing. This bug has been filed with Apple.
- Version 3.0.4 – Released 2011-07
- Minor bug fixes.
- Version 3.1 – Released 2012-08
- Mountain Lion support. Enabled Mac App Store. Works with MsgFiler Engine 1.1 or higher.
- Version 3.1.1 – Released 2012-10
- Requires OS X Mountain Lion. Speed up filing on Mountain Lion. Users of MsgFiler 3.1 on Snow Leopard and Lion should now use this version of MsgFiler 3.0.5 alongside MsgFiler Engine 184.108.40.206
- Version 3.1.2 – Released 2013-07
- Compatibility fixes. MsgFiler Engine is automatically enabled if the plugin is installed in OS X Mail. Changed default to keep MsgFiler open after filing (as per Apple’s App Store review guidelines).
- Version 3.1.3 – Released 2014-01
- MsgFiler disables automatic graphics switching to improve battery life on Mac laptops that have dual graphics chips (integrated and discrete).
- Version 3.1.4 – Released 2014
- Compatibility updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is MsgFiler?
- MsgFiler is a fast keyboard-based filing application that saves you time organizing your messages in Apple Mail. Watch a one-minute product video on MsgFiler.
- Why do I need MsgFiler?
- If you file messages to a lot of mailboxes, MsgFiler will save you time. Watch this filing comparison video to see MsgFiler go head-to-head against drag and drop in Apple Mail.
- Where can I buy MsgFiler?
- MsgFiler 3.0 is available exclusively from the Mac App Store.
- How much faster is MsgFiler over dragging and dropping?
- Tests conducted with new MsgFiler users have shown a 38% increase in filing speed. With practice, your filing speed can increase even higher.
- MsgFiler is slow to file messages to remote mailboxes.
- Install the MsgFiler Engine Mail Plugin for faster filing performance.
- I have the original plugin version of MsgFiler. How do I remove it?
- To remove the MsgFiler Mail Plugin follow these steps:
- Quit Mail if it is currently running.
- Go to the Finder.
- Open your Home folder by pressing Command-Shift-h.
- Open Library.
- Open Mail.
- Open Bundles.
- Move the folder MsgFilerPlugIn.mailbundle to a new location.
- Restart Mail.
- Will you continue to update the MsgFiler 2.x plugin when Mac OS X updates are released?
- Why Mac App Store Only?
- The Mac App Store will provide a level of scale and support that I cannot handle distributing the application on my own. This may change in the future, but for now, MsgFiler 3 will be exclusive to the Mac App Store.
- MsgFiler is crashing.
- Send the crash log for MsgFiler, located at
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/to support (at) msgfiler.com.
Ask a Question
Got a support question about MsgFiler? Post it in the comments section below or send email to support (at) msgfiler (dot) com.